Business Development Manager
The Business Development Manager works to improve the organization’s market position and achieve financial growth through direct and indirect channels. The Business Development Manager helps defines long-term organizational strategic goals, solution sets, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions and trends.
The Business Development Managers will work in a senior sales and leadership position within the company. It is their job to work with internal teams, Vendors, marketing staff, and other stake holders to increase sales opportunities and refine offerings, thereby maximize revenue for the organization. To achieve this, the Business Development Manager needs to take ownership of the entire sales and marketing cycle to drive new customer acquisitions and adoption plans in order to grow the business. This activity can be in conjunction with Account Managers or direct.
Business Development Managers will also help manage existing clients and ensure they are and continue to be satisfied and positive. Call on clients directly or as a team, often being required to make presentations on solutions and services that meet or predict a clients’ future needs.
The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to prospect for new clients by networking, cold calling, advertising or other means of generating interest from potential clients. They must then plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with the company.
They must develop a rapport with new clients, and set targets for sales and provide support that will continually improve the relationship. They are also required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions and services to clients. Business Development Managers work with mid and senior level management, marketing, and technical staff to develop new offerings.
Business Development Managers may manage the activities of others responsible for developing business for the company. Strategic planning is a key part of this job description, since it is the business manager’s responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming into the company. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services the company can provide and a current understanding of the company’s competitors.
While the exact responsibilities will vary, the main duties of the Business Development Manager can be summarized as follows:
New Business Development
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Sales calls as appropriate, within the market or geographic areas to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
- Identify potential clients and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Research and build relationships with new clients.
- Set up meetings between client decision makers and company’s practice leaders/Principals.
- Plan approaches and pitches.
- Work with team to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Participate in pricing the solution/service.
- Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements and working through differences to a positive conclusion.
- Present an image that mirrors that of the client.
- Present new products and services and enhance existing relationships.
- Work with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events, conferences, and provide readouts on market and industry trends.
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Submit weekly progress reports and ensure data is accurate.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM/PSA or other sales and operations management platform.
- Forecast sales targets by services offering and ensure they are met by the team.
- Track and record activity on accounts, opportunities and services development.
- Work with marketing staff to ensure that offering prerequisites are fulfilled within a timely manner.
- Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
- Present business development training and mentoring to business solution developers and other internal staff.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the company’s people and capabilities. Create and manage a skill-to-solutions matrix.
- Understand the company’s goals, success factors and purpose to enhance the company’s performance.
Business development management positions require Business, Marketing and/or Engineering with 5-10 years of senior sales direction or solution marketing experience.
Other Skills and Qualifications
Networking, Persuasion, Prospecting, Public Speaking, Research, Writing, Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Territory Management Experience, Market Knowledge, Business Analytics, Big Data, Professionalism, Application Development Knowledge, CRM and/or ConnectWise PSA Experience, Excel and Microsoft Office Proficiency.
Please apply at: firstname.lastname@example.org