Senior Account Manager
The Senior Account Manager works to improve the organization’s market position within assigned accounts or territory while achieving financial growth through direct and indirect sales. The Senior Account Manager builds key executive customer relationships, identifies general and line of business opportunities, negotiates and closes deals while maintaining extensive knowledge of current market trends and conditions.
Senior Account Managers will work in a senior sales and leadership position within the company. It is their responsibility to work with internal teams, vendors, marketing and other stake holders to increase sales opportunities and refine offerings, thereby maximizing revenue for the organization. To achieve this, the Senior Account Manager needs to take ownership of the entire sales and marketing cycle driving new customer acquisitions, expansion and adoption plans to grow sales.
Senior Account Managers will manage and develop existing client relationships focused on continual improvement ensuring ongoing customer success. Call on clients directly or as a team, often being required to make presentations on solutions and services that meet or predict a clients’ future needs.
The primary role of the Senior Account Manager is to prospect for new clients by networking, digital and traditional cold calling, maintain an active social network presence or other means of generating interest from potential clients. They must then plan, prepare and practice persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with the company. Additionally, this position will be required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions and services to clients. Senior Account Managers work with mid and senior level management, marketing, and technical staff to develop new offerings. This person must present a professional image that mirrors that of the client.
Senior Account Managers may direct the activities of others responsible for developing business for the company. Strategic planning is a key part of this job description, since it is the Account manager’s responsibility to develop a pipeline, meet sales goals and close new and upgraded business opportunities for the company. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions the company can provide and a current understanding of the company’s competitors.
While the exact responsibilities will vary, the main duties of the Senior Account Manager can be summarized as follows:
New Business Development
- Prospect and research potential clients.
- Conduct all activities to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Identify potential Line of Business (LOB) opportunities and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Meet or exceed revenue and margin goals.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining and leveraging your network both digital and traditionally.
- Facilitate meetings between client decision makers and company’s practice leaders/Principals.
- Plan approaches and pitches.
- Work with teams to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Participate in pricing the solution development.
- Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements and working through differences to a positive conclusion.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client briefs and QBR’s.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events, conferences, and provide readouts on market and industry trends impacting customers.
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends in your account base with a view to developing new opportunities or offerings.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
- Submit weekly progress reports and ensure data is accurate.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM/PSA or other sales and operations management platforms.
- Forecast sales targets weekly by offering and ensure attainment
- Track and record activity on accounts, opportunities and services development.
- Work with staff to ensure that projects are delivered within a timely manner.
- Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
- Attend business development, sales, service and product training. Maintain assigned sales certifications.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the company’s people and capabilities.
- Understand the company’s goals, success factors and purpose to enhance the company’s performance.
Senior Account Management positions require Business, Marketing and/or Engineering with 5-10 years of senior sales direction or solution marketing experience.
Other Skills and Qualifications
Networking, Persuasion, Prospecting, Public Speaking, Research, Writing, Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Territory Management Experience, Market Knowledge, Business Analytics, Big Data, Professionalism, Application Development Knowledge, CRM and/or ConnectWise PSA Experience, Excel and Microsoft Office Proficiency.